Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Lee Kuan Yew on Aging

Got this article from somebody in my mail that I would love to share with. Article on aging by Lee Kuan Yew.
--------------

MY CONCERN today is, what is it I can tell you which can add to your knowledge about ageing and what ageing societies can do.

You know more about this subject than I do. A lot of it is out in the media, Internet and books. So I thought the best way would be to take a personal standpoint and tell you how I approach this question of ageing.If I cast my mind back, I can see turning points in my physical and mental health. You know, when you’re young, I didn’t bother, I assumed good health was God-given and would always be there. When I was about – ‘57 that was – I was about 34, we were competing in elections, and I was really fond of drinking beer and smoking. And after the election campaign, in Victoria Memorial Hall – we had won the election, the City Council election – I couldn’t thank the voters because I had lost my voice. I’d been smoking furiously.

... more

No comments: