Sunday, May 17, 2009

Belated Teacher's day

Like others, I too have fond memories of teachers who have helped and shaped me as I am today.
One was a teacher called Manoharan, who taught us Biology when I was in Form Six. Manoharan, reminded me of a joke that he shared with us during one of his Biology classes. It was about a couple who had just been married - a Professor and a beauty Queen. One day the wife was heard saying, 'just imagine my dear, if we were to have a baby one day, the baby will have 'my beauty' and 'your inteeligent'!. Yeah, replied the husband, 'What if the child has 'my beauty' and 'your brain'!!
Another teacher was my Remove Class teacher, Mr. Lee Kam Choon - our Form Master and English teacher. One day whilst teaching, he stopped suddenly and asked for some papers. Mohd Noor Hassan, then our monitor, quickly and confidently, beating others to it, tore some papers from his exercise books and gave them to Mr. Lee. He quickly grabbed the papers and rushed off to the toilet. It was my first understanding and lesson that Chinese needs papers (toilet papers) to accomplish their mission in the toliet.
How could we forget Mr. Thambyrajah. He has this 'habit' of staring for a few minutes at the desk before entering the classes. He will go back and forth looking at the desk for a few times until he was 'satisfied' and 'done' and presume that everything was okay before entering. The class had to wait until he settled down with his 'antics' before we could greet him Good morning. The same routine applies after he finishes his classes, too. But, goodness me, I couldnot recalled the subject he taught us!. Was it Geography?!
Mr. Tan Teong Leong (TTL) was the one who likes to 'kuti' or pinched your tummy whenever you failed his History tests. And he will ridiculed and made funny calls to your name in doing so. I can remember one name he frequently and liked to make fun with - our Ismail Jumli (Captain). TTL will call him - 'Ismail Jumlah!.
I remembered the sweet Ms. Foong Pek Wann who taught us English cum General Paper in Form Six class. In one of her class, Shoib was asked to read a text from a book when suddenly she shouted, 'Shoib, speak louder, I can't see!. She had forgotten to bring her glasses to class.
To all dear teachers... a Happy belated Teachers' Day.

3 comments:

ah said...

Mr David Tambyrajah taught mathematics for the lower forms during my time in STAR

son of Dulla said...

Aah.! indeed. Mathematics by Mr. Thambyrajah.Geography teacher was En. Kamaruddin (lower forms) and Goh Cheng Leong (Form 5 and 5).

omasuha said...

Oh yeah,
I wrote somewhere in the SATROBA webpage recently (my comment to an article about our teachers)that I once fell sick and this lady teacher who owned a white Honda Civic drove me to the cilinic and then to the sick bay (under the care of Mr Rajoo) and she later on in the evening came back to the sick bay to see that I was alright. She was none other than the lovely Miss Foong Pek Wan. I wonder where she is right now as since leaving school I had not heard heard about her.

On TTL's wits about names, at first he called me Oma Suha, then Suha - Suha then changed to Suka-Suka and later on Suka Hati - can you imagine that you were expected to know when your "new" name was being called!! But mind you, there were some amongst us who were very sensitive about making fun of names....TTL was confronted about it..