Friday, October 17, 2008

Malay rights – a mystical myth? (Part II).

My letter Malay rights – a mystical myth? (Malaysiakini)had been ‘borrowed’ by many blogs which posted it on their own site as an interesting topic for sharing. I am touched that my letter-writing debut has been well-received with many positive comments although I have seen some negative comments posted too. Well, I would like to think that even I should allow such democracy! As happy as I am about this writing debut, it also worries me that some quarters are using it to prove their own unheard point. And considering that a Malay man wrote this article, it became a much talked about piece. This is why I feel the need to write this second letter because I may have been misunderstood in some ways in the earlier one. Perhaps my point was not very clear. Perhaps my sarcasm was out of context and perhaps I was not compassionate enough. I am not an anti-Malay or whatever privileges that the Malays are entitled to. I just feel that the Malays are ‘running on the spot’ in the endeavor of being privileged. What are we fighting for when we say Malay rights? What rights do we want? Do we even know what we want? .. More

No comments: