Tuesday, September 2, 2008

It's fasting time!

IT'S the second day of fasting and tarawih's third. Attended tarawih's at the local surau. Did a 20 rakaahs prayer plus 2 + 1 for the witir. Didn't stay for the tahlil or moreh (eating/'drinking' session after the tarawih) though.
Talking about fasting, I remembered once being asked my non-Muslim Chinese childhood friend about fasting. Was it really hard and 'torturing'?. Well, I told him the difficult one is not about the part when you are not suppose to consume or take in any food or drink BUT the sacrifice and the reorganisation of one's sleeping time to accomodate one's 'sahur'. It is either you have your sahur very early or as late as 5.30 am. To me it is about adjusting my breakfast to 5 oclock instead of the usual at 7. But then again, like they say, it is all about mind over matter.., if you dont mind then it does not matter!
Amongst my earliest memory of fasting was when my brother and I played monopoly after attending the tarawih until late night or should I say early morning so that we can 'kejut' mother so that she can prepare us the sahur. Occasionally I had to dash and rush into the bedroom to wake her up because of her 'ngigau'. Mother is such a 'ngigau' (sleeptalking) freak! and the sound she's making when she's ngigauing is very scary though original!. Being the youngest, at the time, I was assigned to rush in and wake her up everytime she sleep-talk! And I tell you, it was hectic because she repeatedly had her sleep-talk, 3 to 4 times a nite!
Talking about monopoly, until now I just could not stop wondering how my brother managed to convince father to buy the monopoly set.

No comments: